The main feature of the village of Kolymbari is the Monastery of Gonias. It was built between 1618 and 1634 and is consecrated by the Virgin Mary. In the monastery there is an important collection of post – Byzantine icons of superb artistry. In the treasury of the monastery we can see many of the old relics, precious high priest vestments, a silver censer, a bulky manuscript with ecclesiastical canons and two Bibles with silver covers. This monastery has been the center of Orthodox creed in all battles of the nation. Next to the monastery is the Orthodox academy of Crete. There are good fish tavernas in Kolymbari such as “Diktyna” and “Edem”, a few shops including a supermarket, and there is the choice of a rocky beach or a sandy beach. Boat trips leave from the small fishing harbour to go to the Diktynna archaeological site. The ruins of the Diktynna Sanctuary are in a beautiful isolated cove with crystal clear waters and sea caves at the north east end of the peninsula. The ruins seen today are those of a temple built in 2AD on the orders of The Emperor Hadrian. The Roman temple was built on the original site of a 7th Century Dorian temple dedicated to the nymph Diktyna who is identified with Artemis, the goddess of hunting). Kolymbari is 2 minutes from the National highway and 30 minutes from Chania.